Tooth extraction is the removal of a damaged or infected tooth. Having a tooth pulled could be nerve-wracking and scary for some. It is one of the procedures that our experienced dentists, Dr. Parisa Kheirieh and Dr. Babak Najafi perform here at Origins Specialty Dentistry in San Antonio and the Helotes area, TX. But why would you need a tooth extraction?
Why You Might Need a Tooth Extraction
In most instances, fractured teeth or those damaged by tooth decay are treated with a dental filling, bonding, or a dental crown. In some cases, like the ones below, severe damage is only be fixed with a tooth extraction:
- The decay has extensively damaged the tooth
- The infection has ravaged a significant part of the tooth and/or the bone
- Large teeth are blocking some teeth from coming in
- Your jawbone is too small to accommodate all your teeth
- Milk teeth don’t shed in time and keep the permanent teeth from coming in
- Third molars, also known as wisdom teeth, are typically extracted after of before they erupt
- Individuals who need to undergo orthodontic treatment might need to have some teeth extracted to make space for teeth that are moved into their proper positions
The Tooth Extraction Process
Depending on your particular circumstances, your dentist in Helotes, TX, might perform a simple tooth extraction or a more complex surgical extraction. Simple extractions are used for visible teeth. During the procedure, your gum tissue and tooth will be numbed and your tooth will be loosened before removal with a dental forceps.
Surgical extractions are performed on teeth that haven’t erupted yet or have fractured at the gum line. During the procedure, your dentist will make a tiny cut or incision into the gum and extract the underlying tooth. In some cases, the dentist will have to remove a portion of the bone surrounding the tooth or break a tooth before extracting it.
Whether this is your first tooth extraction or not, you need to follow the recommendations of your dentist before and after your extraction to ensure the success of the procedure.
Contact Us For Any Questions or Concerns About Tooth Extraction
Arrange an appointment with your dentist here at Origins Specialty Dentistry in San Antonio, TX, and the Helotes, TX, area, Dr. Parisa Kheirieh, or Dr. Babak Najafi, by dialing (210) 460-0749.